Short History of Loanends
Loanends Presbyterian Church was birthed in mission. In the early 1800s some Presbyterians from Scotland came over to Ireland to preach the Gospel. They were known as Seceeders as they had left the Church of Scotland due to what they saw as a lack of zeal for preaching the gospel and reaching out to those beyond the church.
One of the first local men to join them was Hugh McIntyre who was ordained in 1816 as a Minister of the Associate Presbytery of Original Seceeders in Ireland, in charge of Craigmore, Knockloughrim and Loanends congregations. When a church building was erected at Loanends in 1830, Mr McIntyre devoted his whole time to Loanends. In 1858 Loanends became a congregation of the United Free Church of Scotland. The following two ministers, the Rev. Isaac Marwick and the Rev. William Salmond came from Scotland. During Mr Marwick's ministry a Manse and School were built and during Mr Salmond's ministry the church was extensively renovated and a new school and Teacher's residence were built as an outreach to the community. Just prior to Mr Salmond's retirement in July 1892 Loanends joined the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland.
In 1976, after a trial period, a Union was formed with the neighbouring congregation of Killead under the ministry of the Rev. Derek Weir. Since then the congregation has grown from 120 families in 1970 to 161 families in 1995 and, after a period of levelling out, has grown again to the present figure of 170 families.
A new church hall built in 1967 enabling further outreach to the community and a Minor Hall and new toilets were added in 1990.